Thursday, April 26, 2007

Trail Names


I forgot to mention in my post yesterday that we now have our trail names. We are now referred to as "The Maine-iacs" Dad is "Uno" and I am "Dewey" meaning "one" and "two." It wasn't our first choice, but the name spread like wildfire and now precedes us down the trail. As an example, two days ago while hiking we came across two thru hikers who we had never met before camped out next to the trail. We introduced myself and mentioned in passing that we were from Maine. His eyes lit up and he asked, excitedly, "Oh, are you guys the father-son Maine-iacs we have been hearing about?" The trail is kind of weird and spooky like that at times.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dewey,

There is a distinct part of me that resonates with familiarity as you play the melody of trail life in these blogs. Feels good:) I just recently decided to go to trail days. Are you guys going? I'll be coming from NC so if you'll be on the south side of damascus then, give me a call and I'll pick you up whereever you are. Until then, keep on savoring ever aspect of trail life. I'm missing it.

j schneider said...

Sean,
I await your next post. It's wonderful to read about your adventure, and I think of you often. Did you bring athletic tape for those blisters?

Jenny

Anonymous said...

Dear Maine-iacs~We all miss you and send you greetings from spring-like Maine....rain, rain, rain, high water and the beginnings of buds and blossoms.
Descriptions are wonderful. Thank you for sharing your adventures and know that we are enjoying the trail with you both. Keep smiling and stay strong and enthusiastic experiencing nature. Leslie P.

Anonymous said...

Mark and Sean,
It's great to hear about your progress and experiences. I downloaded a couple of the images you posted and included it in the slideshow at the Court of Honor this evening - so you were with us, at least in a virtual way. We're all thinking of you!
Brian & the Troop

amandabost said...

what is the wildlife situation? seen any snakes yet?
How much weight have you lost?

Ayesha & Jono said...

sean!
it's lovely to feel in touch with you while you're miles away. the blog and pictures are great, and i'm glad you seem to be getting into the groove. sad you won't be here for graduation, but hopefully i'll be in the area when you're done with the trail. take care, much love,
ayesh