Monday, September 3, 2007

The End is Near

Screw Auger Falls

Tracey, Sean, Mark, Kathy at Pleasant River crossing

And they're off...again

Sean is grateful to survive his death defying leap. See first picture above for scale.

What a choice...Moxie or Coke? and note Whoopie Pie in other hand

Which way do we go? And do I have to go back to work
on Monday if I turn around and go South?


Posting this for Mark and Sean...they are in the middle of the Hundred Mile Wilderness, heading for Baxter. We found them on Saturday 9/2, near Gulf Hagas, walking out of the woods exactly at the time they predicted. Sean sauntered out carrying a whoopie pie and a Coke, making me wonder if they had actually been hiking or merely dropped off by a passing logging truck. (Trail magic had provided the sustenance.) After a lunch of turkey sandwiches, fresh fruit, carrots, chips, cookies, Powerade, and Moxie (for Sean,) they re-supplied with the provisions I brought. After fording the river, Tracey and I hiked with them to Screw Auger Falls. Sean jumped from a 20 foot ledge into the waterfall pool, hoping that he would survive to finish the hike! Wednesday I will meet them at Daicey Pond, where we will stay the night in Cabin #4. The final ascent of the AT, Mt. Katahdin, will begin early on Thursday, weather permitting. Companion hikers welcome!

1 comment:

person 1 said...

Hey guys, congrats! Noodles and I were eagerly following your progress on this blog since we parted. I would love to get in touch and send you some pictures from the half gallon challenge and exchange stories and such. My email is:
kamiller43@gmail.com

The "real world" is certainly quite an adjustment. I hope you both are easing in to it. -Tank